Sudbury Academy Program
SYSA founded the Sudbury Academy Program in the Fall of 2010 on one principle: to develop committed players who have the tools necessary to prosper at each level.
The Academy offers each player a cutting edge professional curriculum and coaching, designed to develop the individual player at each age level in a positive and creative environment. Soccer is a game of skill and creativity.
The Sudbury Academy Program delivers a consistent and integrated curriculum to develop skill while encouraging creative ideas while building a passion for the game.
The Sudbury Soccer Academy Program:
Skills Academy + Academy Squads
The Academy Squads are an expansion of our Skills Academy.
The Skills Academy and Academy Squad training follow a comprehensive age-specific curriculum, designed by our USSF A and Scottish FA licensed Technical Director, Ross Duncan, from the New England Revolution Academy. The curriculum uses best practices and innovative teaching structures and techniques from Ajax, Zagreb and NE Revolution Academies.
Skills Academy: The Skills Academy offers professional coaching and a curriculum designed to progressively build skills and awareness appropriate for each age group, and to encourage players to practice hard and build a passion for the game. The Skills Academy is run by the New England Revolution Academy as a supplemental program to SYSA’s Sudbury Soccer League (In Town) and BAYS programs.
Click here to see the Skills Academy Training Videos.
Indoor Soccer: This program is offered to any group of 10 or more players that wish to play indoor soccer together. This will be open to all U8-U14 players that play for Sudbury either In-town, travel or are part of the Academy Squad program.
Click here to learn more about Indoor Soccer
Academy Squads: The Squads offer the next step, adding tactical development as part of a team to the individual technique and skills offered by the Skills Academy.
Academy Squad Training
Squad players go through an advanced program focused on technical development and learning game-like situations in functional and situational sessions. Players selected for a Squad compete as a team in a conventional competitive league and regional tournaments.
Academy Squad Focus
The Squads’ focus is on developing young players to reach the next level, rather than focusing on winning the score line. The driving philosophy of the Squad is to place players first, not team record and reputation. The focus is on giving players the “toolkit” – skills, tactical awareness and mental focus – necessary for success at the highest level each player can achieve.
Specific Academy Squad Benefits
Squad players learn and grow from the following:
- A dedicated professional Revs coach
- A comprehensive and fully developed curriculum of age appropriate training, designed with best practices derived from multiple professional youth development programs and deep experience of the NE Revolution Academy
- Two sessions of Squad specific training per week, to introduce and develop tactical concepts
- One competitive match per week, in BAYS, to play under real conditions
- One additional Sports Performance Academy session per week, focusing on appropriate athletic development (coordination, balance, conditioning, power)
- Individual analysis reports for each player
- Match goals for the team and individuals designed to encourage positive play in addition to scoring. Examples include number of passes; amount of possession; number of penetrating runs.
- Formal meetings at the beginning and end of the season (i) between the coach and each player and (ii) between the coach and parent(s), to review goals and development progress
- Educational homework assignments.
Click on the Squad name to learn more about each program
Click here learn more about our Academy Program Coaches